my first stretch

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Its hard to find time lately to build this bike but I have managed a start! I got the cranbrook with the new engine off of craigslist for 150! I guess somebody tried to get into motorized bikes and on the maiden voyage the rear wheel ate chain, and they gave up. The bike came with a new rear wheel to boot. The engine has maybe 10 min. on it, so for 150 what a deal! I have a few ideas for this build but wanted to show my frame idea's. It will have a cyndrilacal chemical resistant pvc fuel tank mounted behind the seat for now but I will be trying my hand at makin an in frame tank. I extended the bike about 12 in and lowered it about 2 1/2 in. Not sure if I like the seat location, I might make a laid back seat post but need to get her all welded up to test ride first to see how it feels. Not sure on the handle bars either but here it is in the making!

Attachments

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I'm a huge fan of the stretch bikes but, I don't know how safe I'd feel sitting on top the welds like that.

Last edited:

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Thanks for the comments! I will definately be doin hard testing to make sure all is well with bike before any long rides. I think the way I have the triangles coming together it should be very strong. I'm not the best of welders but I did use some heavier gauge tubeing than the frame use's and now after being all welded up I am very happy with the welds penetration and "pooling" and my welds look so much nicer than the factory welds! I am actually apalled with the factory welds- not very nice or consistant at all. I have talked to a buddy who helped me build my 68 Norton about some plasma cut flame gussets though! I hope not to need them but sure would look nice! I go the tank made the other day out of chemical resistant abs plastic tubing and need to figure out how I'm gonna mount it but its finally coming together. Expecting a flame 36 t sprocket from spooky soon also to help with the gearing. So far pedals real nice and the bike feels very stable with no noticeable flex.

Last edited:

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I finally got it running! No paint yet- going to put some miles on it to make sure all is well and I like the way things are situated.
I got the tripple tree suspension forks for free and they work very nicely and let me use linear pull brakes (just cant get used to coaster brakes!) It sounds pretty good with the dual mufflers but I am considering fitting an expansion chamber in. Still working on lowering the gearing but overall the bike rides very nicely, super smooth and I'm liking the pvc fuel tank.

Attachments

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
the dual exhaust is very cool, but i'd like to seem them curved up a bit to site somewhat alongside the rear forks, just a suggestion. but ultimately it's your bike.

can't wait to see it with paint.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I also wanted to mount the pipes higher but with the kid in trailer behind me so often its just really not an option. This bike will be my main trailer bike- My mountain bike with shift kit, pipe, billet head and so on was stollen 2 weeks ago so I needed to get this bike up and running until I can afford a replacement for the mountain bike or the cops find it= I've written it off but boy I sure would like to see it on the road some day!
Anyway I developed a small fuel leak on pvc tank so I put a regular tank on it and kind of like it! Not sure how it will end up. I'm also eyeing the pocket bike expansion chamber thats on my red and black cruiser but I like how deep the exhaust note is now and its fairly quiet=good for the kiddo. No one seems to like my idea of painting it flat black either! I expect by the end of the week to have it done (At least for now).

Attachments

Last edited:

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
So I got back into an old Hobby and got really side tracked! I finally got some paint onto "lurch" Let me know what you think? I wore out the rear tire in testing of the welds and fitment of stuff- trired a cyndrilacal fuel cell and finally set on its current set up. Next is a 29er in back yard now

Last edited: