the Cafe Racer build commences!

GoldenMotor.com
So that's it for the first installment of the build. As you see in the photoshop I did, I'm planning on adapting a moped seat. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to make my own, or if i should buy one..

I wanted to ask your opinions of running shocks to the rear axle to support the seat, as im not sure if it is a good idea to add stress there. I'm open to suggestions about how I can make this work, got any ideas?

The 67.5cc engine kit will be ordered in a few days and i'll definitely keep you guys posted with the progress!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Hey, this one will look pretty sweet I bet. Nice find on that gas tank.

I think adapting that straight seat will look pretty awesome if you ask me. looks like you could pull it off of that similar style motorcycle as well as a moped.

No idea about the shocks though...but it sounds like a great idea :)

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
i love the concept! very original! please keep us posted on the build.

yeah, i went through the same stages of search for a little two-wheeled local transportation that you did. i looked more at the Hooper Imports 110cc Trail Ryder (Chinese Honda CT70 repro) than the Kikker, though (same engine). when i stumbled onto this forum, though, i knew i wanted to build a motorized bike.

anyway, good luck with your build. i'll be on an eager lookout for updates!

Ima Schwinner

Jul 21, 2008
E. Oregon
An ultra-light cafe racer will rock. I love your idea.

Have you considered a going with racer seat instead? There'd be some fabrication involved with a mini-subframe type seat support, but a rounded off painted tail would look awesome, and really tie the racer look together.

lawyertob

Jul 19, 2008
I found an article about the Derringer Cycles....said that they cost $3,500, but you get to choose your options and you get a cute matching helmet! Yah! I am working on building one, but more like a true board track racer with the seat at the right hight (between the rear fender and the upward rise of the top bar) I'll keep everyone posted as it comes together.

My goal is to have white balloon tires, springer front end, color matched wheels, frame and tank.

Derringer uses Brookes England seats, which cost $120+. My build will be MUCH less in cost.

Hot Dog Piggy Tails

Sep 11, 2008
Kelso Wa
Id have to look the gas tank end seat pivot p and the braced frame and ridgid cross frame with roller bearings on the end/sides of the seat for the top of the shock tower to be ridgid enough to not twist then I might agree.

Little braze work never hurt anyone

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I would have probably bought a Kikker Bobber kit but I was concerned about emissions testing. New motorcycles don't require an emissions test for the first 5 years in Maricopa County. I don't think the Kikker would pass that first smog test.
I enjoy my MTB based motorized bike but I would love to build something with the Kikker look.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Nice concept Bushido!
I would very much like to attempt to acquire that moped!
I was born and almost raised in The Venice of America.
I lived near Riverland Road and 36th Ave.:confused: on SW 22nd ST.
Please tell me you want to part with the rest of the moped.
BTW: A seat from a 1978 Puch Sport MKII would look nice on that bike.
I think there is a pic of one old Puch on my profile.

Just checked and no pic on this profile but you can look through the gallery of mopeds on Moped Army - Swarm and Destroy, look for a 1978 Puch Sport MKII, the only moped with a long seat and mag wheels, I believe...

Last edited:

Caferacer

Dec 22, 2010
California
My friend in Gainesville just moved into a new place, he did some yard work in the backyard and ended up finding this little beauty after he cut back a vine that had been covering it. It's a 1977 Cimatti, only has 1,000 miles on the odometer, it's probably been sitting since 1978, heh.

I took the headlight with integrated speedometer and made a mount out of some aluminum yesterday:

would your friend consider selling the tank off of that moped?

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
that is a cool concept, it looks like sort of like my old kaw except slimmed wayyyyy down, you're making me want to build a gary lawson green machine now

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That is a wonderfully clean build. What's the seat off of if you didn't already say? I like the way the suspension on the seat looks, is it actually functional?