Custom Recumbent Trike

GoldenMotor.com

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
I am starting a new trike build. I am building it for someone who lives on a gravel road. Here are the design points.
1) trike design for stability on gravel.
2) Gearing to limit speed to 15 mph for safety
3) Recumbent seating for comfort and low center of gravity
4) Rear engine mount
5) Working pedals for starting and backup in case motor won't start
6) Powered by Raw 49cc engine
7) Wide front tires for better handling on gravel
8) Steering radius will be limited fo stability

I have started on the frame. Here are 2 pictures. The second one shows the approximate position of the motor. I will post more pictures as the build progresses.

Attachments

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
I put on a temporary seat today and hooked up the pedals for testing. The seat and pedal arrangement works good. There is a handling problem with pivoting front axle. I am going to have to tear it down and go with a fixed axle and independant steering. I thought this might happen but I wanted to try it and see why it isn't used very often.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
What you should do is find a garden tractor front spindles. They have the stearing geomatry built in. The one you have the pivets are to far in it will be about the same as the first axel. The center of the wheel were it hits the ground is supose to intersect the center of the spindle angle and meet at the same point. If you draw a V the left line of the V should go strieght up through the center of the tire were it meets the ground in the center. The right line of the V should go up through the center of the spindle
I think somewere on this post is a drawing someone posted of how....Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Way to go BarelyAWake. I would just hate to see gstrope Get it all done and not have it work right and give it up,just because of that. How many wagons have tiped over because they did not have the proper stearing?
Thats what is greate about these forums you can learn how before you get flustrated and give up. At my age been there and done that many a time.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good luck. Surely one of the most interesting and ambitious projects I've seen here. Keep at it, solve the problems and keep us informed. Thanks for sharing.
Tom

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
Way to go BarelyAWake. I would just hate to see gstrope Get it all done and not have it work right and give it up,just because of that. How many wagons have tiped over because they did not have the proper stearing?
Thats what is greate about these forums you can learn how before you get flustrated and give up. At my age been there and done that many a time.
Thanks guys for the tips on steering. I have the motor hooked up now and mounted a temporary gas tank to give it a try. It runs pretty good. The top speed is about 15mph and it handles pretty good with the steering setup. I am going to do some extensive road testing at full speed and test out the handling.

I appreciate the tips on steering setup.

Note: this project is still in the rough stage. I like to try out my designs as soon as possible to find out the flaws. The final product will be more refined.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
THAT LOOKS LIKE A FUN RIDE. Check out a old garden tractor front end they have all the angles right and ajustable tie rods. Did you know that it should have a 1/8 inch toe-in in front?
Then there is the Akerman principle. If you look at a garden tractor you see that the stearing arms are not stright out, they come out at a angle. Picture a line going from the hole were the tierod bolts on,through to the center of the kingpin should go to the center of the rear end. Just so you know.....Curt

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
What are you doing for brakes? I am liking your design and may attempt a variation of it, but I was wonder how you are doing the brakes. I like the idea of the front wheels being what they are, but it does not allow for the typical bike brakes, and my study of go kart braking shows that they usually put a brake on the rear axle, which is also lacking in your design. And typically speaking 90% of braking on bikes is with the front breaks. So V brakes on the back tire I am not seeing as a safe answer.

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
If you are using those Harbor Freight wheels for front wheels, I have a suggestion for you. Take them apart and weld the center core solidly to the rim side that it's attached to.

Those are just pressed on with a rolled edge and the stress of going around corners will break them loose and they will get wobbly after a very short period of time if you don't.

I've built a trike somewhat like what you are building and learned the hard way.

Lee

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
What are you doing for brakes? I am liking your design and may attempt a variation of it, but I was wonder how you are doing the brakes. I like the idea of the front wheels being what they are, but it does not allow for the typical bike brakes, and my study of go kart braking shows that they usually put a brake on the rear axle, which is also lacking in your design. And typically speaking 90% of braking on bikes is with the front breaks. So V brakes on the back tire I am not seeing as a safe answer.
I just got the brakes hooked up. They won't lock the tire or anything but with the 15mph top speed seem adequate - picture attached

Attachments

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
After limited road testing I have already run into trouble with the small wheels. I had a bearing failure on one wheel and have noticed the tire worn to the cords already. I got these wheels on sale at tractor supply for $5 each. They are clearly marked not for road use but I thought they could handle this application.

I am going to redesign with different front wheels probably bicycle wheels.

Attachments

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
If you are using those Harbor Freight wheels for front wheels, I have a suggestion for you. Take them apart and weld the center core solidly to the rim side that it's attached to.

Those are just pressed on with a rolled edge and the stress of going around corners will break them loose and they will get wobbly after a very short period of time if you don't.

I've built a trike somewhat like what you are building and learned the hard way.

Lee
I have run into some problems already with the small wheels, see other post. I am considering different wheels. I did notice the problem you mentioned on one wheel.