Cape Henlopen (Lewes, DE) Rally, Sept 18 & 19.

GoldenMotor.com

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
It's just a little under two months until the rally, so I guess I should be giving out some information.
This is the third annual East Coast Rally at Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes Delaware, and we're holding it the weekend of September 18 & 19. It's a great venue, and we've had a great time there the past two years.
All categories of motorized bikes are welcome. The past years have seen a bunch of Whizzers, EZMotorbikes and several two-stroke bikes. We haven't had any e-bikes show up yet, and we'd like to see some! Mopeds are welcome too, so you can dust off that late '70s Puch if you have one. Bikes like vintage Cushmans or Vespas would be neat to see there as well.
Accomodations in the Lewes area can be pricey, but we have fared well with the Red Mill Inn which is about ten minutes from the park. Rooms have been adequate, they are pet-friendly if you're bringing any dogs and they allow just a one-night stay. Most hotels in the area require a minimum two night stay. Here's the number: (302) 645-9736.
Cape Henlopen State Park has a campground, if that's the course of action you may be considering. You may contact the park at (302) 645-2103.
Last year we started handing out awards. We only came up with two ideas for awards (because it was done at short notice - I didn't think of it until 10 mdays before the event). We had the "People's Choice Award" and the "Greatest Distance Travelled" award. I'd like to have a few more for this year, but I'm having brain lock and can't come up with much. Does anyone out there have any ideas for award categories?

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
Sounds great. Last years event was fun and we will probably be attending this year as well. Here are some other award ideas in addition to people's choice and greatest distance travelled: Best 4 stroke, Best 2 stroke, Best vintage style bike, Best modern style bike, Most breakdowns, Most reliable bike, etc. Also here are a couple of pictures from last year.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Boy, I'm tempted to try to make it to Maryland in time to swing up there for the rally. The Worksman with sidecar will be done by then. I'd otherwise be tempted to stay here in Minnesota until freezeup sometime in October. I have to be in Maryland by November for my winter caretaking/handman gig near Camp David, so may bump things up. It would be neat to see you guys, take a look at those Whizzers and EZ motorbikes up close. Does the campground require early registration to assure a campsite? Moosh and I would just as soon stay in a tent anyway. I think we'd come the day before and leave the day after. We'll see what unfolds...
SB

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Silverbear, it would be an honor to finally meet you in person. After all, we go back a long ways with the co-moderating of the Motocycles Yahoo Group. I hope you can make it.
Because it isn't a race weekend (Nascar at Dover) like last year, I don't think you'll need to make camp site reservations too far in advance. But fate can be fickle there, as other groups frequently descend on the park and they may take up a goodly number of camping spaces. I've seen it happen before. If you decide on making the trek, it would probably be a good idea to book the space as soon as you've made that decision.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Chris,
Yes, we go back a number of years and it would be a great pleasure to meet you and your brother and all of our Brothers In The Wind attending the rally. I hope I can make it happen and have the current build done in time to leave Minnesota, briefly unpack in Maryland and head up to Delaware for the rally. From here to Thurmont, Maryland is about 1300 miles and then add on whatever it is from there to Delaware and I will have had enough driving a car and will be ready to ride a bike instead. I'd be bringing the Firebird, my Worksman in progress, assuming I can get it done in time. The canoe/sidecar is about finished minus upholstery, but the bike still has much work ahead. Having a kind of deadline with this rally tells me to get off my old butt and get moving! September will be here before I know it.
SB

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Silverbear, even if your bike isn't quite finished by that time it would be great to see you. We always have a number of extra bikes available. I'm bringing two bikes of my own, my Whizzer and my EZM bike.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
I'm looking into having event t-shirts made. At a previous rally a local dubbed us "The Lewes Motorbike Gang", so I was thinking of having that put on the shirts.
From the supplier I'm looking at we could do white t-shirts for around $10 each (XXL is $2.99 more), grey t-shirts for around $13 each (also $2.99 extra for XXL) or black for around $15 each (plus $2.99 for XXL).
Below is a mock up of the design in black. It can be ordered in any of the three colors, but there might be cost savings if we all order the same color.
Anyone interested?

Attachments

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
I like the shirt idea. Grey or black would probably be best since white shirts seem to get dirty easily. Is the shirt design front and back, or is one side blank?

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
That picture is a Harley!! No,no,no,it can't have a picture of a Harley on it. Are you going to have something like "3rd Annual Lewes Delaware Motorized Bicycle Rally 2010" on it?

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Jay, I know that it's a Harley, but I was limited by the design choices they have. I was debating about having a date on it or having it as it is. I'm open for suggestions, as I can still make changes.

Matt, it just has the design on the front, the back is plain.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
I'm doing a redesign of the T-shirt, as Jay says it should reflect that it's the "Third Annual Motorized Bicycle Rally". Working with my online template, I barely had room to work all of that in on two lines (which is all they allow for the event name). He also thought the motorcycle should not be there, but I'm limited as to the designs Vistaprint offers.
I have two new proofs below. Let's see which one is the more popular.

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was just thinking there must be someone on our forum who can silkscreen T shirts for events and do custom designs. It might be worth a post asking in swap & shop. What do you think? It'd be nice to see a Whizzer pictured or even the old Schwinn winged wheel... a board tracker maybe. I was thinking ahead to a someday event in northern Minnesota and a shirt with Brothers In The Wind Bearhead Run and the year along with a motored bicycle. You've got me thinking, Chris. Hmmm... If you're limited to the two choices posted, number two is better I think.
SB

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
We're getting some plans afoot here regarding the rally, and Jay was talking about possibly leading a ride into Rehoboth. I was talking about a park ride with stops for photographs at points of interest, including the "Point", the fishing pier, the observation tower, Fort Miles, Battery Herring (extreme southern end of the park) and more. A lunch run into Lewes (Irish Eyes Pub & Restaurant) is in the works too.
Here's a new proof for the T-shirt as well.

Attachments