Disc Brakes

GoldenMotor.com

xwint3rxmut3x

May 27, 2010
Chicago
Hey guys, been riding my motor bike whenever I have had time, and suddenly, I think I broke the engine in :D Was just cruising when all of a sudden I picked up some speed. I think it's time to upgrade the brakes. I bough some side pull caliper brakes when I started the build, but I think i'd rather go for disc brakes. I've scanned the forums, alot of talk about them, but no tutorial, or easy step process. I ask this because I have a cranbrook, and the fork doesn't have mounts for disc brakes. Does anyone a universal mounting kit I could get to put the disc brakes on? Or what kind of a fork I should invest in? As always any help is appreciated. PS...the idiot vendor I ordered my seat from FINALLY shipped it and I should have it tomorrow. Will finally post some pics of my cranbrook.

xwint3rxmut3x

May 27, 2010
Chicago
Thanks venice, I wasn't sure from your site if they only worked with Schwinns. Does the kit come with everything I need? I looked up a kit on boy-go-fast, would it be compatible with your adapter? As always, you guys rock, thanks

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Thanks venice, I wasn't sure from your site if they only worked with Schwinns. Does the kit come with everything I need? I looked up a kit on boy-go-fast, would it be compatible with your adapter? As always, you guys rock, thanks
My adapters work on almost every kind of fork... I have a fourth design that I'm working on for 'odd ball' forks.
The adapters are for use with 160 size rotors.

Post a link to the Boy-go-fast brakes.

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Do you have a link for your adapter? I don't see it on the site. If the price isn't too steep I think I would love to do some disc brakes.

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
I may have to look into that mounting bracket VMB, I have disc brakes on my normal mountain bike and those things are amazing. Never had them before this bike and they work better and last forever.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
That e-bay link is for a spin on adapter I beleive, You would need a freewheel wheel. Id go with The Venice model. The price is right, You can pick the brake you want to use , and Hes on the forum here.
Cheers
Chainmaker

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Can someone post a link to the venice one with the prices? I can't find it on the site. My work comp doesn't allow a lot to pop up.

xwint3rxmut3x

May 27, 2010
Chicago
Oooooh, ok. Yeah, I thought I'd need to purchase the kit from them AND from Venice to get it set up. If I buy the mount from Venice, what else will I need to purchase to get it going . (except brake lever, and cable obviously)

Beej,

there isn't a store option on his website per se, I couldn't find it at first either. If you just scroll through the text though it mentions the adapter for Schwinn style forks for $20. I believe they are one and the same.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Go to Venices site Venice Motor Bikes, motorized bicycle sales, bicycle engine kits, service, parts. schroll down until You see the blue fork with disc brakes...looks like they belong there, thats the version for the Monarch forks which I highly reccomend. Hes got a couple different versions of the adapter. He said in a thread a couple weeks ago He had the adapter and disc brake for like 100 clams just need to get the cable. You are probabally going to need to upgrade your wheel to disc compatable,this is a good time to upgrade to some safer, more solid wheels, I got a set of Alex dbl wall, alloy, disc wheels with tires and tubes for about 100.
Cheers
Chainmaker

Last edited:

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
They look sweet, all of Venice's stuff is killer. I would kill for a set of those monark forks with the disc brake but I am planning my wedding so I am strapped on a budget for my play stuff. If the adapter is only in the $20 range and fits standard style cruiser forks then we are in the game. If not I save and save until I can get the stronger monarks with brake.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
For a rear disc brake adapter try this: Disc Brake Bracket Billet - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

I have one here for my current build. I have not used it or even installed it yet because I'm waiting on a rear wheel that I ordered. But it seems very solid and well made. As for how to attach a sprocket and disc brake to the same wheel, well that is a bit complicated and involves modifying the band brake on the HD wheel sold on many of these vendor sites. Before you laugh or tell me that it's impossible, my Dad (who got me into this "motorbike thing" to begin with) did this on his chopper build and it works great.

long post I know. When I'm ready to do front brakes I will be contacting Venice. ;)

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Just PM or call me!

My new batch of adapters should be ready in a few days; they're gonna be heavy gauge stainless steel! (^)

I'm also designing a rear disc adapter! ;)

I'm sick of giving my designs to other builders & 'machinists' just to get them made... (& having my designs swiped & not getting any credit!) :rolleyes:

I'm doing it all myself now! ;)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I have one of those adapters for the rear and one of Venices for the front. The thing with the choppers us adapter is it is made for dropouts that are horizontal and start at the rear and go forward. They dont give the proper placement of the caliper. Here is a photo of how it fits with a cruiser
[/IMG]
I had planned on using this with an adapter sold by Kings Sales to allow disc mount and sprocket mount on the same side , but e-mails went un-returned , Firebelly cycles also sells one apparently You have to contact them through e-mail as their contact form on the site doesnt work. I ended up using aa machined disc hub mount sprocket, and purchasing a set of caliper brakes. When Venice rolls out his rear adapter I will address My rear brakes again and purchase one of his, assuming I can contact firebelly for their adapter
Cheers
Chainmaker

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
So it will fit on a standard cruiser fork?
There are many different 'standard' forks.
I have one adapter that works on most everything, but it's great on some & fits OK on others.... so, I have other designs that solve any problems. It's really hard to find a truely 'universal' design; but I'm getting there!

PM me, I'll hook you up! :D

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Chainmaker, Yeah I figured I would have to modify it a little. It's hard to say exactly how it will all work out on my bike until I get my rear wheel though. Should be here tomorrow.