getting the rear wheel alidment correct

GoldenMotor.com

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
i have a new build bike..started life as a micargi tahiti..put grubee sky hawk on it..put the rear hub on it that has the rear sproket and drumb brake equiped..my problem the shop that did the install spread the rear chain stay to get the needed extra clearance..however i either have the chain slapping the white wall..or the tire rubs on the oppsite side ..peddal side..don't want to go to a 195 size because they arent white walls:-||...and i love the rat rod look.....any suggestions?????

beadlejuice

Oct 14, 2010
Hesperia Ca
put a spacer between ur sproket and rag joint to space it out farther and also make sure the sprocket is offset to the outside im running a 36 tooth bicycle chainwheel with the 9 hole pattern drilled out to fit

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
chain slap on the tire is inevitable. every bike i build does it, and i go to great lengths to align everything properly. the way the chain jumps around while riding, even if you have the perfect amount of slack in the chain at rest, while riding it's a total different story.

as long as it's not cutting into the tire, the only problem is choppy grease marks.

take a look at every bike here with creme coloured tires or whitewalls, and you'll see they all have streaks on them. (there might be a very few that don't rub, but they ain't stock micargis:))

the only solution is to get some blackwalls, or keep cans of carb cleaner handy to wipe them off all the time.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
paint the white walls black on the chain side ,they can only see one side at a time anyway. lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
paint the white walls black on the chain side ,they can only see one side at a time anyway. lol
Reminds me of a local hot rodder I know who has a beautiful little 1940 Ford Pickup. On one side he has painted steel wheels with old Ford script hubcaps and white walls. On the other side he has mag rims. Depending on which side you see it either looks like a restored car or a hot rod. Fooled the heck out of me the first time I saw it.
Tom