locked rear wheel

GoldenMotor.com

cgiel

Jun 17, 2010
Florida
Hey Guys,

This is my first time installing an engine on a bicycle and im stuck. The rear wheel does not seem to be moving freely. I have checked the clutch pad and the spring and it seems to be fine. I dont know what is causing the rear wheel to lock. Please help!

-Cliff:-||

ThatPerson

May 11, 2009
Southport, NC
You never said what type of bike you had so I'll guess and say you have a crusier. If so, I would check your rear sprocket. Sometimes they don't fit well over the dust cap on the hub and when you tighten down the bolts, it locks the wheel up. Also, check your brake arm and make sure it isn't hitting the bolts holding the sprocket on. You might have to bend it to get some clearance.

If it's not those things, it must be your clutch. Check these things out and report back if you still need help.

Edit: I just thought of this, if you mean that it feels like there is a constant drag on the rear wheel, that is the clutch system. It will always have some drag to it.

Last edited:

cgiel

Jun 17, 2010
Florida
Yes, i have a cruiser...The problem has nothing to do with the brakes or the rear sprocket. When i disconnect the chain from the engine, the wheel spins normally. I have taken apart the clutch plate and everything appears to be normal. The clutch gear that the chain wraps around on the engine feels like it has too much resistance. I have done everything i can think of, but i cannot solve the problem. Thanks for helping...

-Cliff:-||

ThatPerson

May 11, 2009
Southport, NC
The drag you feel when you connect the chain is normal. (as long as it isn't REALLY hard to move the rear wheel.) It will never spin as free with the chain on as it does with it off. The clutch assembly will always produce some drag in the system.

cgiel

Jun 17, 2010
Florida
Hey...you people are genius..thanks for helping out...the Normans post really helped me out...take care and thanks again.

-Cliff.shft.