1999 GT Mountain bike aluminium frame

GoldenMotor.com

bootheel

Jun 10, 2010
Columbia, Mo
Logically that makes sense. But... the advertisement looks so convincing.
thanks for the advice.
i think i will examine a setup with rear engine and a chain.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
1999 GT Mountain bike?

Is it the fully suspended one or a hardtail?

Some of the GT's had one of the very few rear suspensions that would allow the mounting of an in frame engine, somewhat rare but greatly sought after - here's one from Sick Bike Parts' homepage w/a shifter kit;

Even if it isn't - I'm still partial to the in frame engines, although I will mention that not all rack mounts are friction drive & they are easy as pie to build ;)

bootheel

Jun 10, 2010
Columbia, Mo
Its a hard tail, and its aluminum. Has a small fork with 3 inches of travel in the front.
And I'm in my 50's.
It is a mountain bike, and I have put some regular 1.75 tires on it. And some fenders.
And I wanted to use it to commute to work. a mere 4.5 miles. And I did a few times.
But the hills are just long. Like 3/4 mile long. Or they are steep like 1000 feet altitude in a 1/4 mile. (
Hills are great going down, but its slow going up 'em with the office Levi Dockers trousers on.

I did see some ad's for a rear mounted chain drive and a rear mounted belt drive.

bootheel

Jun 10, 2010
Columbia, Mo
That is an idea.
It is 15 lbs hanging on one side of the bike.
i wonder if I would even notice. i gues I could counter balance with some water bottles on the other side.

bootheel

Jun 10, 2010
Columbia, Mo
Now I'm starting to understand the advantages of the GEBE, aka Golden Bike Engine setup. It has no chain, so its quieter, and you can pop the belt off quickly, if needed. But its $$$'s.