reversing sprocket for better alignment

GoldenMotor.com

sudjim

Jun 8, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Hi everyone,
I am building bike #2 and I ran into a new problem. The chain seems to bounce a lot on the top end of the drive sprocket. I have not ran the engine yet, just peddled around for a block or two. When I take the master link out, the chain seems to want to be more out from middle than in. I was thinking that either the drive sprocket was too close to the engine case, or I needed to move the rear sprocket out away from the wheel some.

I read several posts on adding washers. I can't see that moving the wheel (and sprocket) more in line with the drive sprocket. Can I flip the actual sprocket around, so the "dished " side is facing so that the teeth are farther away from the middle of the wheel, thus hopefully getting it more in line?

As a side note, I had the front bar flattened slightly so that the motor mounts would fit. I didn't want to grind 5mm, so I squeezed it. It fits, but maybe it is not exactly symmetrical. The motor does seem to be roughly centered, maybe off a little. Am I up a creek? My VW experience is not helping me on this. I'm having a Macguyver brain fart.

Thanks for all of your help.

Jim

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I squeezed my front tube also. You can check alignment of engine being centered, by just looking down over the top tube. When I look down with the bike strait up and down I look for the head bolts to each side of the top tube. as far as the sprocket, it can be put on either way that helps with the chain alignment, or you could add another piece of rubber to space the sprocket out.

sudjim

Jun 8, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Thanks Mr.R1,

It now looks like the motor is aligned with the rear sprocket. I had to loosen all the motor mounts and kind of wiggle it. Even with it all aligned, it seems to ride the motor side of the drive sprocket teeth. I'm really thinking that there may not be enough clearance between the motor housing and the drive sprocket. It seems as if I pulled out the drive sprocket about .025 -.050" it would seat better.

Can that be done? I'm in new territory, VW's don't have chains.

Thanks for the insight and help

Jim

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Jim I wouldnt worry about it I run a wider #41 chain and my chain always sits on the "outside" of the sprocket. If you are running the kit chain, dont sweat it, it wont go anywhere......You can pull the sprocket cover off and see how much room is there.....

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
your in luck one of the guys is from gainsville same town as you but don't ask me which one as I too have the brain farts. I also play with vws check out my web site and see my over 200 mph pass in my vw powered plane.
good luck with the chain if it don't come off the sprockets try it under power

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I'm in Gainensville (northwest) If you PM me I'll give you my phone number. I'll help in any way I can. I have plenty of extra parts and tools to fix tools. Let's go ride!!