Can anyone give me info on NC laws?

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The last time I looked if you bike is under 50cc you can ride it anywhere without any insurance or registration but you have to wear an approved motorcycle helmet. If your bike is over 50cc make sure it isn't marked in anyway, then swear it is 49cc I don't think anyone will check it.

If your bike is electric then it is a bicycle as long as it is not over 750 watts and won't to more than 20mph I think it is.

Wilmington would be great for an ebike as well as for the gasoline bike.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
thanks...my build is DIY so it wont have any labeling...i really dont see the cops messing w/ me but i just wanted to be sure
Yep, you're good to go...

The only caveat to the whole thing is supposedly noise pollution, but as long as you're not being a jerky and revving it up all day long, just to make noise, you're ok.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Best times of my life was when I was an insurance investigator based in Wilmington. I lived in an old garage apartment on Pender ave. Used to go down to Wrightsville island holiday inn lounge during the week. Great fun also I loved the blockade runner lounge for the ocean views. Now I think I'm having an misty eyed moment lol.

ThatPerson

May 11, 2009
Southport, NC
Hey Deacon, where are you living now? I'm from Southport, NC and I ride up through Kure and Carolina Beach up to Wilmington. It's a nice ride. Sure would be nice to find a couple more people in the area that ride. Gets lonely cruising around by myself.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
way to your west in high point, but I used to live in wilmington. Best darn place I ever lived. Do they still have the forth of july dance in southport?

ThatPerson

May 11, 2009
Southport, NC
Oh yeah. Southport is listed as the "Official 4th of July Cerebration Town" for North Carolina. It goes for 4 days. I moved down here last year from Pa and love it. You could say that the weather down here is a whole lot better! LOL

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
I live in charlotte NC and having troubles with my clutch arm pivot shaft ive searched the forum but no answers that work My original post is titled:"help please" please read and tell me what you think can be done abought this problem thank you.
P.S. Id love to ride with you guys/girls in the NC aria i cant find anyone to ride with around here.
P.P.S. Ive only had one cop talk to me abought it and all he asked was was it homade i told him it was not and he told me to get a helmet thats it, but im thinking it was a nice cop ive not encountered anny mean cops here in Charlotte, NC

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't do gas anymore Im an all electric guy now but pm norm and tell him I sent you. He is the real man for the gasoline bikes. He will have you right in not time.

Is the town hall still that old mansion by the water. I did some work on a homicide down there once.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
well its been almost thirty years since I was there. I remember walking up the outside stairs to get to the second floor to talk to the detective. He was probably the only one the town had.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
This is an old thread, wondering if the law is still lax on MB's in NC? I remember cruising the blue ridge parkway on a MB and loved it. I also remember that scooters riding around town didn't even need a license tag. Still the same way? Thanks

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Did North Carolina House bill 48 get passed? Does anyone know the current MB law for the state of North Carolina. I live in Florida but was thinking of heading to the NC mountains this summer. Thanks

marcilla.smith

Sep 16, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Hello Albula et al,

Sorry to be late with this information, but I hope I have what you need.

Yes, the moped law passed and went into effect in July. I exchanged several emails with the Greensboro PD to see how they would interpret the law as it would apply to motorized bikes. So, the information I have is specific to GPD's interpretation, and may or may not be representative of how other departments may interpret the law.

In short, according to GPD, a motorized bike is a moped so long as it has two or three wheels, is under 50cc (the officer noted the lag between the legislation and the state of alternatives to ICE technology), and has a top speed of 30 MPH or less.

To legally ride a motorized bike (moped) in NC, it needs to be registered and tagged. NC tag offices can register a resident's homebuilt vehicle (although lights, etc will likely need to meet DOT standards). Also, while operating, a DOT approved helmet must be worn. Insurance and driver license are not required.

Prolly not the answer hoped for, but I hope this helps