4 or 2 stroke motor?

GoldenMotor.com

josh5968

May 31, 2009
alabama
I want to put a motor on my bike I like the thought of a 4 stroke but is it worth it? Is there a good gearbox for it that is quiet and durable? I would also like to put a jack shaft kit onto it. Please let me know anything about the motors.

DearthVader

Mar 5, 2009
San Diego, CA
I bought a 2 stroke knowing they're not quite as good as 4 strokes because I wanted to make sure I really enjoyed motorbiking. My 2 stroke has performed fairly well but just can't match the reliability and overall ease of use.

I'll still ride my two stroke for a while but as soon as I have the money I'll purchase a 4 stroke. The exhaust from 4 strokes isn't nearly as pungent. If you sit on a two stroke for a couple minutes while it idles, your clothes will stink. The fuel has to be mixed and can be a little messy. Aesthetically the 2 strokes can't be beat though. My 2 stroke looks great mounted on a Schwinn Jaguar--kind of looks like it belongs there.

If reliability, lower noise and less fiddling appeal to you then the 4 stroke is for you. IMHO. Sure the cost is higher but you get what you pay for.

The EZ motorbike transmission seems to get great reviews and is also American made (there's something to be said for that).

Hope this helps.

Josh

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I agree Dearth
I have both 4 and 2 smokers. 4s are easier, more powerful, better mileage and speed (out of the box MB engine kits) 2s are lighter, sexier and a quarter the cost. But my favorite one is the one I am on. Not being diplomatic, they really are both a blast.

LOL I was of no help at all eh? If you get a chance, try and ride both.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
You can get one 4s or 2 2s's for the same money. Do you have one or two bicycles? :)

*If you want to run it wide open with one motor gear, use a 2s. If you do a lot of hills or get a shift kit, use a 4s.

I like my grubee 2s. I am shocked at how much low end torque mine has (48cc with open lawnmower muffler) but at the high end it probably needs a bigger jet as it slows down to maybe 27mph up overpasses. Mixing gas isn't a problem for me. I like 2s stuff, always have. I ran lawn equipment for years.

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
i had both i prefer the 4 stroke i found the 2 stroke a little dirty. plus if i run out of gas i can stop at any gas station to fill up. its not really recommended that you mix your gas and oil in the tank. so with the 2 stroke you will need to carry a container.

as far as shift kits go im testing one now and i love it more speed less rpms. also you can coast more saving gas having a freewheel on the motor is weird at first but you get used to it. my old setup was like running a street bike in first gear
all the time. i found it a little jerky :)

cheers

Last edited:

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Josh, as far as the engines go I have had both. I've sold, serviced, and ridden, the 2-strokes for over 10 years. With that as background I can tell you that when I got my first 4-strokes in '05 I quit riding the 2-strokes altogether. I now only ride them as part of building, repairing or testing.

The 4-strokes are smother, cleaner, more powerful, last longer, and are over-all better built in every way. Due to the history of the Chinese 2-stroke kit engine, I can tell you that every nut bolt and screw in the HS 4-stroke is a higher grade than the in-frame 2-stroke. There are much better 2-strokes made, but not used in frame yet.

Due to smoother running, and better quality, most of the 4-stroke owners find that if they built their bikes well, that they can ride them more, instead of spending so much time maintaining the bike. They are also much more fun to ride, IMHO.

If you get a chance, do try both, but know this, the 4-stroke is generally cleaner, smoother, and will last MUCH longer. Your investment, IF you get a good Drive, will far outlast the cheaper some-times short-lived 2 stroke in frame kit.

Mike

skyliner

May 17, 2009
jensen
does anyone know about performance parts for the 4 stroke i just bought one and am currently waiting delivery cant wait

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great sig Sky! ",,,havin fun and smokin scooters" Classic. That just made the list of future bumper stickers! Will send you one if I can ever get my printer to cooperate, snork.

Dunno about performance parts but would ask the SBP guys. Their always working on some thing cool

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
For someone who just wants to get on his bike and ride it everyday I recommend the 4-stroke(a quality kit, my friend just bought one of the cheap kits with the exploding gearboxes and blew it up). If you want something you can modify and get performance out of I recommend the 2-stroke, after upgrading my 2-stroke I could completely blast past my friend and he weighs less! But unless your lucky and completely baby the **** outta it your not going to get the reliability out of the 2-stroke the 4-stroke has.

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
My 2 stroke looks great mounted on a Schwinn Jaguar--kind of looks like it belongs there.

Josh
most of the time you are right

but this looks like it belongs there
i was the first to purchase firebelly's universal in frame mount so i sent Evan my specs to make sure it would work
i have to remove the spark plug just to get the engine in
tell me that doesnt look like it belongs there
it couldnt have worked out better if we tried
i LOVE it

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
What happened to your rear derailleur? Are you using it as a single speed tensioner? If not, then maybe you have a short cage with a large cog cassette, or the chain is way too tight.

most of the time you are right

but this looks like it belongs there
i was the first to purchase firebelly's universal in frame mount so i sent Evan my specs to make sure it would work
i have to remove the spark plug just to get the engine in
tell me that doesnt look like it belongs there
it couldnt have worked out better if we tried
i LOVE it
[IM]http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae137/jared8783/2009SpringSummerPictures090.jpg[/IMG]

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
What happened to your rear derailleur? Are you using it as a single speed tensioner? If not, then maybe you have a short cage with a large cog cassette, or the chain is way too tight.
i put a different size sprocket on the crank
and it is in first gear in the picture
it works out good
if there were 1 less link in that chain i wouldnt be able to get into first

i forgot to say in my first post
the reason i got a 4 stroke is cuz
i could not find a 2 stroke that wasnt made in china

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
i put a different size sprocket on the crank
and it is in first gear in the picture
it works out good
if there were 1 less link in that chain i wouldnt be able to get into first

i forgot to say in my first post
the reason i got a 4 stroke is cuz
i could not find a 2 stroke that wasnt made in china
I don't mean to be a buzz kill but ain't Honda motors prolly manufacturers in china? (I realize that Honda is a japanese company and build the most reliable motorcycles of old, but even Harley parts are made in china now!)