Photos from the Las Vegas Auction

GoldenMotor.com

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Great shots!

The guy with the Lake wrote me this past year about a saddle like my Mesinger. This is what his seat used to look like. I guess he found one.

Not to slander him but most old-looking bikes have been "crusterized" in one way or another to make all the parts appear to be from the same period. Real original racers, unless stored in climate control, are generally in really, really tattered shape.

I really like that bike but have yet to find literature about it. Very Thor-esque.
It is very interesting that the bars on it are almost identical to the bars on the Jefferson. Any idea if those belonged to the same guy?
Curiosity begs,
Dave
KC

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Okay, here's the skinny. The owner wrote me back already!
Lake was made after Jefferson starting in 1919 and apparently Jefferson was bought by them - tooling, etc. This would explain the similarities in these bike's engines and frame parts.
Both bikes at Vegas were owned by the same individual.
Cross-referencing such things has taught me a lot!
Thanks for posting this!!
Dave
KC

diegom

Nov 19, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
thanks for posting the pics!! I too have "raided" the auction house website!!

does anyone know where I can find tires like those? cocker only seems to have the ones with the "button" threads, not ribbed

26" I would guess...

thanks!

diego

chipmcluk

Oct 29, 2008
Reno
thanks for posting the pics!! I too have "raided" the auction house website!!

does anyone know where I can find tires like those? cocker only seems to have the ones with the "button" threads, not ribbed

26" I would guess...

thanks!

diego
They're either a 28x2 1/4 or 2 1/2.
You have to have the clicher rims as well very expensive as compared to motor bicycle parts, but available!

diegom

Nov 19, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
They're either a 28x2 1/4 or 2 1/2.
You have to have the clicher rims as well very expensive as compared to motor bicycle parts, but available!
wonderful, please tell me where!!

I'm actually building a real motorcycle racer-replica, but you guys are the best in the world for these things, so please help me!

thanks!

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Worksman wheels use rolled rims similar to the way they were made then but in 26". Some used 26" even back then.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Real curious what these original boardtrackers are selling for. Anybody have any idea what a low end bikes goes for? Did any of these sell at the auction?

chipmcluk

Oct 29, 2008
Reno

diegom

Nov 19, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
Heres a set, but in 3" height, more common to a street bike than a race bike.
OnlyOldiesGarage.com*::*Tires by Size*::*22" - 28" Tires*::*28x3 Universal Ribbed Blackwall
thanks a lot!

that's very interesting, because it says that the OVERALL size is 28"... not that it goes on a 28" rim... since the tire itself is 3", does it mean it mounts on a (28 - 3 x 2 =) 22" rim??

I've always been used to tire sizes that relate to the rim diameter, to to the overall size (ie rim + tire), but it's not the first time I hear this weird way... I was talking to a guy in England who can supply tires to go on the rims produced by the VMCC
The Vintage Motor Cycle Club Vintage Selection Online Shop

and he too was talking about 26" as the OVERALL size, not the rim...

I discounted that as a language barrier (I'm italian!), but now I see it coming up again...

and I've just checked on the Coker's site:
26x2.5 CL COKER CLASSIC CYCLE BUTTON TREAD ALL WHITE - Coker Tire

SAME THING: "Overall Diameter: 26"!

WHAT??! now I'm getting REALLY confused... really really confused...

HELP!

diego

chipmcluk

Oct 29, 2008
Reno
Don't let it confuse you, this standard applies mainly to old beaded edge tires, clinchers and is quite antiquated. It wouldn't apply to modern tires. But yes, its strange to change your thinking on tire sizes from what is the usual!

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
I have not held those in my hands but I think it is actually 26" and 28" rims. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Dave
KC

diegom

Nov 19, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
I assume that's because white is the natural color of rubber once it's processed... only later it became black, I assume they put in the compound something to change the color, probably because white was too labour-intensive to keep... white!

chipmcluk

Oct 29, 2008
Reno
As far as clincher rims and tires go, they measure tire diameter and sidewall height. So a 28x3 uses a roughly 22" rim. And a 28x2 1/2 uses a roughly 23" rim. I have a few sets of 28x3 wheels and tires and all vary slightly, probably from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The white tires were just a styling deal up until the mid 20's or so. Popular on street bikes as well. I don't know, maybe it was easier in early vulcanization to bleach the rubber rather than dye it?