Disc Brakes or Drum brakes.

GoldenMotor.com

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
I want to get some people opinions on weather I should get a front disc brake or a front hub wheel.

Do you think I can mount a front disc brake on my electra coaster?? I have never mounted disc brakes so I have no idea what to look for.
What does a front disc brake set-up cost.

Or a front drum wheel from husky bicycles that run for 80 plus 30 shipping.

I would really like to get disc brakes but Im unsure if I can get it setup with little modification.

What do you guys think??

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The advantage of the drum brake is that it will fit any fork.
The disc has the advantage in stopping power.
The drum brake definitely gives the motorbike a retro look.

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
Venice is right ultimate stopping power goes to disc but forget about "adapting" a mounting system to a non-disc fork, due to the increased stopping power there is increased stress put on the fork so get one that is designed for it. I have tried 3 different types of adapters all with hideous results. There are "cruiser" forks on the market that are designed to accept disc calipers and are very reasonably priced.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I have heard that disc brakes have trouble when wet. It isn't a big deal for those of us in Tucson but still something to consider. I know that my drum brake will lock the wheel so I don't see that there can be any difference between drum and disc in stopping power. At least for the front wheel.

.trk

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Im am going to try and find some sus. forks with a mount for disc brakes. Thanks wildemere. Id rather spend 50 or 60 bucks for disc brakes than 120 for a drum. But If my plans dont work out, sometimes they do and dont, plan b is a drum break

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
If you don't plan on doing much off road riding then the "zoom" forks found on supermarket bikes are fine, just make sure the steer tube is long enough for the frame.

My disc takes about 2 revolutions to dry off and work properly in the heaviest rain.

Properly adjusted linear pull or V brakes with quality parts (rim, pads & caliper arms) stop just as well as my low end disc setup (160mm Hayes mechanical) but are slow to dry off in the rain.

So plan B for me would be the V brake, the posts for these are on most all MTB style forks and are under $20 for a nice alloy set.

I choose to use a after market generic motorbike clutch lever for both setups.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
To my knowlege there is no sites for information or specs about the chinese crap bikes sold in supermarkets.

They lay about on the roadsides around here.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Warning 'bout the low-end disk brakes - there's no way to adj the pads so one of 'em (usually the inner) always drags/scrapes.

Gettin' a cheapo front end (shocks & wheel for mounts) then goin' to yer local bike shop for a better caliper (take-offs, lotta ppl upgrade) is prolly the most economical.

Still... given the upgrades necessary there may be little to no price difference between drum and disk *shrug*

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
Stick with disc in the front if you can, those drum breaks weigh alot and kinda defeats the purpose of that very light electra, the lighter the bike the faster it will be and the easier it will climb that hill!!! Those forks i have do have a mount for cantilever breaks built on the fork, i was thinking i like those electra front forks if you want to make a deal let me know, i will try to post a pic when i get off work.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Disk brakes may be smaller and have a better grip, but I've come to love drum brakes for their ability to work properly in all kinds of weather because they are sealed. Same goes for internal gear hubs. I've got a Sturmey Archer Front Drum with Dynamo and then a 3-spd with Drum. I'm 265lbs and the bike is steel and weighs 65 to 75lbs, I have never had a problem stopping, even in sleet filled roads.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
HeyBarely,
I've had mine for about 6 months now on my "military murray", they've been collecting dust the past few weeks as I am putting them on another lighter build. So far I have had little problem with it, but I use mine for a rear light/with battery only. I've got a min-gen for my front light, it puts out almost 15 watts at 30 mph. I got the larger 90mm front hub to get more stopping power in turns, it seems to keep my front wheel in line better than when I just had the pull brakes. I used to adjust them so the front pulled first in the dual brake handle, now the larger drum does this already and the stopping is smoother. Actually its d*#n nice!!!

pdubs

Jan 16, 2010
chicago
any ever rig up front disc on their beach cruiser? any pics??

any experience with this bracket?

www[dot]choppersus[dot]com/store/product/307/Disc-Brake-Bracket-Billet/

sorry bout posting the link like that, guess i gotta post more to link URLs.

first post! :D

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I would think the only time you really need more than average brakes is if you were pulling a trailer then I'd say you could justify the hassle and expense.