Choosing between two bikes...

GoldenMotor.com

Oct 30, 2009
Atl
amazon.c0m/Pacific-Capeland-Cruiser-26-Inch-Wheels/dp/B001IANT1I

amazon.c0m/Tony-Huckjam-Mountain-26-Inch-Wheels/dp/B00141HO3A
Sorry but I can't post links yet, replace the zeros in com with o.

I will be installing an 80 cc jet stealth engine (the one with the slant head), also I will be driving the bike in the city alot, but it will occasionally go off-road.
These are the two bikes, I realize that with the cruiser I'd probably want to install a front brake due to its having only a rear coaster. I think they are roughly the same weight and both are steel frame. I like the cruiser look better and feel like it would be more comfortable, but I think the MTB will be a little more sturdy and provide more braking power.

What do you think, assuming I can get the bikes at the same price?

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
No worries, you'll be able to post links/pics in a few more posts - it's done to thwart the evil spam ;)

amazon.com/Pacific-Capeland-Cruiser-26-Inch-Wheels/dp/B001IANT1I

amazon.com/Tony-Huckjam-Mountain-26-Inch-Wheels/dp/B00141HO3A

Much as I like mountain bikes the oversized/oddly shaped Dtube can pose a bit of a problem. It's not insurmountable by any means - but the cruiser would be an easier build I think.

Also Amazon saz this about the mountain bike;
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
So it looks like the cruiser is the winner of the two lol Yeah - you'll defo wanna get some front brakes on it tho ;)

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
I built my first build on a cruiser similar to the one you pictured (a Nirve classic), my buddy at the same time built his bike on a pacific mountain bike.... His forks were cheap quality and every-time he would stop the bottom part of the forks would move side to side and make for a wobbly, unsafe feeling ride. You are right about the coaster thing though... My cruiser eventually got upgrade to front V brakes to improve stopping. The bike you are wanting doesn't have V-brake mounts however, this plate MISC V-BRAKE PLATE at DANSCOMP Will allow you to bolt on V brake mounts if you want to use V brakes for your front brake :) I tried side-pull brakes at first but they didn't have half the stopping power my V brakes did. Good luck on your build man

Oct 30, 2009
Atl
I'm looking at Craiglist offers so being in stock isn't an issue. Also, I noticed that the the cruisers frame seems to have a tighter fitment than most cruisers. Will this be an issue? Also, I know Pacifics have a reputation for being semi-cheap bikes, will structural quality be significantly compromised? Also for the vbrake, couldn't I just drill holes in the frame?

Last edited:

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
V brakes require studs that come off the forks/frame, sidepull brakes require just a hole on the fork steer tube or on the rear of the frame. The tony hawk bike is made by Dynacraft which also makes; Magna, Vertical, Next, and Rhino bicycles. If your looking for a structurally sound bicycle to build, I personally would look for an older beach cruiser, Schwinn or Muray perhaps. I picked my bike up for 60$ off craigs, which was a steal b/c a nirve classic sells for 289-400$ (400$ being at my local bike shop). I was originally going to go to W mart and get a huffy Cranbrook, but the Nirve is built much better (my own opinion), and buying it used saved me 30$ over the Cranbrook. I have seen quite a few cranny builds here and they look awesome too :)

Oct 30, 2009
Atl
I ended up getting a Novara Big Buzz for a great deal on CL, and it has disk brakes which I was really wanting. How do you go about mounting the rear sprocket on a bike with disks? It seems as if there is no room.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
You might look at the manic mechanic's add...he has a sprocket that bolts into the middle of the hub instead of sandwich rag joint that comes with the kit...ask him he would know better than most I would imagine. They also make a rim/hub with the sprocket already on the left side. You may very well have to lose the disk brake which would be a bummer.