Two Stroke gasoline conversion to electric hub.

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Last wensday i received a a Wilderness energy electric front hub kit to replace my long line of burnt 2 stroke engines. Well after a few moments getting trying it on a few of my frames unsuccessfull due to front fork clearances i finally decided to strip the junky 50cc borrowed from my brother of my main rides frame and setup everything. Well one thing led to another and i believe and i am hopeing its either a carbon brush or a simple lead issue goint to the axel.

enclosed are some pictures i hope they explain a little more then what i am capable of writing.

the axel shot looks like the + red wire got riped out of the axel or something.

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have a hub motor I took off my bike. I hate it. I burned up the controller so even though I don't like the motor, I bought a controller for 50 bucks. It runs but sounds like it's coming apart all the time. I just took it off the back and stuck it in a corner. I would rather run the big ugly friction drive i build now.

Hubs are all the rage, I just don't like mine at all.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
So I tried to take the motor apart in order to resolder the power leads that got torn off, after about 8 torx bolts, one spindle nut and about a hour of trying to manually remove the cover i ended up deciding to search the net concerning hub motor disassembly. The two guides i found one for brushed and the other for brushless systems i've come to a conclusion i am going to have to get a flywheel removal tool you know those scary looking things with three claws that clamp around your flywheel with a central screw pillar thing that kinda reminds me of either a head crab from halflife or the alien larval head hugger but robotic style.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ah a gear puller... lol I have no idea the official name for them. Most of the auto stores will loan you one or at least rent one to you.

well good luck to you.if you have two wires you most likely have a brush motor. The brushless usually has five wires. However that may or may not be an absolute. I just don't know much about them.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
I know theirs better technologys out their.. I've got a few tricks up my sleve that i am working on that will have to wait untill i figure out how to patent them via a GNU open source patent. Last thing i want is some big corporation grabing it for themselves and shelving it.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
If you''re into electric bikes, check out the Bion-x brushless 36 volt lith. ion rear wheel drive .I want to get one but there is a mechanisim inside that shuts down the system when the bike reaches a speed of only 24 kilometers/hour .....I heard that u can get a code to enter into com. control to remove the regulation off the internet some where.Who is it that knoes about this?? Up here where i am, they cost 1700.oo just for the kit

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Yes i've heard of the bionx systems, and the reason i dont have one is the price tag... and aside lithium ion is sweat, and i am not interested in lith poly baterries do to the limit on charging cycles and their general explosiveness, Just the quisi Semtex propertys of those batteries scares the piss out of me.

And about the limiter capabilitie of the system... If anything its gonna be in the speed controller, and like any other circuit its moddable.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Yes i've heard of the bionx systems, and the reason i dont have one is the price tag... and aside lithium ion is sweat, and i am not interested in lith poly baterries do to the limit on charging cycles and their general explosiveness, Just the quisi Semtex propertys of those batteries scares the piss out of me.

And about the limiter capabilitie of the system... If anything its gonna be in the speed controller, and like any other circuit its moddable.
You're right about the price, I think it's outrageous. I would have to save up along time. The dealer was questioned about explosiveness and he said no. They say batt. will do 49 miles on a single charge but, thats what they say. I heard that the electric kits with the front hub don't work very well and break down alot ,so dealer started selling bion-x Theres no way I'll spend 1700.oo unless I'm sure I can over ride that stupid speed sensor. They have 26,36 volt ni-cads also-alot cheaper and 24 volt lith. as well also cheaper. -was told batt. will last 5 years.

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
in answer to the hub motor that you cant seem to make go. If it has three wires such as green blue yellow its a three phase or brushless type. if it only had two wires such as green yellow or red black it has brushes inside and it is an old one. the wilderness energy people got ganked by china and lost a fortune in bad hub this year the newer three wire type is great if a wire rips out of the hub its toast
only the 2009 hub motors are any good or you can buy a Sparrow from electric rider in topika kansas they have a closeout at about 70 bucks

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Well i got the motor turning, it just doesnt really seem to pull very well. maybe i should look at the bearings one of them seems to be a little stiffer rolling then the other. not to mention the insulator between the stator and coil seems a little bodunk, all in all if i had a new motor for my lathe i believe i could build a better motor i really wished i found that information out about the wildernes team getting ganked by the chinease before i ordered from the guys i bought my kit. oh well, i will be needing a second motor for a 2x2 electric soon.