Brakes! How are yours?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
O.K., as requested, a thread dedicated to brakes.

Who wants to write the definitive brake manifesto? Volunteers?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Personally, all three of the motorized bikes I've built had only rear coaster brakes. Not the best set up, however, I do live waaaay out in the boonies and don't have a lot of riding where I couldn't just coast to a stop.

I realize a lot of you ride in the city or more congested areas where good brakes are more than just a good idea.

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about bike brakes except the cable pull type and some of the variations of those, and coaster brakes.

Pad types?
Brake types?
Disc?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I always liked the coaster brakes because they were simple and never failed.
The down side to them is that 80% of your braking is done with the front wheel- if it's equipped with brakes.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have had my coaster brake fail, coming down Mt. Lemon after the Death Race. The hub got hot and just stopped working, I had to jam my foot between the tire and seat post tube to stop. And you know what is really really bad? I still have not added front brakes! Shame on me :(

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I still don't wear a helmet or have front brakes!!!!!!

I don't even have a motorized bicycle right now!!!! I rode my bike without a motor for the last two days!!!!!!!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Wild eyed rebel biker... fat marlin brando on a ten speed with a tiny little engine. ^5. That has got to be one of the silliest images I have had in a month. Thanks for the laugh guys.

Opps was supposed to be in helmets again. Sorry

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I consumed every set of brake pads that I bought at Wall-e-world almost immediately.
I found an abandoned bicycle with American made pads and two ell shaped support brackets that ride on the rear frame to align the pads properly.
These pads are still going strong.

I stripped the bike for everything usable after this.

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
I have regular old V brakes on my MB. I ran a new cable for the rear brake simply because my fuel tank was in the way of the factory setup. They can stop me dead in under the legal time for motorcycles here in NYS.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
i gonna try to put the beefier cantilever front brake from my what's left of my old MB on the Goodwill Jag.

i'd like to stay on the junk bike route, but justbill's description of his bad Jag has me thinking about that Sturmey-Archer front drum. and they make one with a dynamo built in!

silvermaker5

Jun 8, 2008
Baldwinsville, NY
I was some what of an moron. I purchesed a bike that was set up for the size just bigger than the 26" alloys I knew I was going to get to make it more stable. Great part the sproket bolts right in, bad part smaller wheels means I can't use the breaks it came with. V brakes would be on the tires and not on the rims. when I swiched the front over to the alloy wheel I was able to bolt the disk brake right on to the wheel and the forks were set uo for both breaks. So right now I only have front breaks. Have never had touble with breaking too hard/fast to go over the handle bars or loose any control.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I ran a coaster brake when I first got into the scene and quickly relized that one brake wasn't enough. Since then I've changed my complete set up. I first had a 6 inch rotor on my bike and felt that wasn't enough stopping power. I now have an 8" rotor and it made a huge difference. That along with a V brake on the back finally put my mind to ease knowing I'll finally be able to stop when something jumps out in front of me. I recommend a disc brake for the front. It's the best way to go.

NebraskaNutz

Jul 3, 2008
I had full discs on my full suspension MTB prior to motorization - I upped the front to a 203mm and kept the rear at 160mm. They are mechanical, BB7's with semi-metallic pads and SRAM full-metal-jacket cables. They bite hard at any speed, the cables give great feel and were simple to upgrade from stock.... just changed pads, front rotor and cables. Having ridden motorcycles for years, I know for myself, that I wouldn't be comfortable with anything less.... just my 2 cents :)

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
I apply the rear coaster first, maybe 50% followed up by the front v style brake. This combo stops me quickly if needed and does not stress out the rear brake.