dax titan lubrication for jack shaft and other set up points?

GoldenMotor.com

shadow

Aug 5, 2009
pennsylvania
the dax titan rear mount kit seems nice but the directions are lacking.

does the jack shaft (axle under the motor mount plate) need to be lubricated or are those bronze bushings self lubricated. dont laugh, ive run accross permalube bushings before, they are made of porous bronze impregnated with oil, but they look oily and the ones on the dax kit do not.

also, despite contradicting posts stating otherwise, the two clear pvc tubes coming out of the carburator are: lower one is a drain for the bowl if you want to store it, and upper one is a vent for overflow in case the float gets stuck.

and, although it's not documented in the directions, the rear mount titan kit includes a retaining ring/end cap which fits on the end of the jack shaft to keep it from sliding out if anything weird happens. its a small aluminum ring with a set screw in it. probably best to use it.

nice to see the forum although it needs a better search indexing system.
shadow philadelphia pa.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
The Solid Rear Bearings are oil impregnated and are self lubricating. But.. It does not hurt to put a squirt or 2 of motor oil on them every 1000 miles or so. Also.. The clear lines you seem to have them identified correctly. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride.

newzeey

Jun 27, 2009
WV
FWIW my Titan kit did not include any shaft collars for locating the jack shaft. I've since bought one for mine. Also, the bushings work just fine but they do have a little more drag when pedaling than a good quality ball or roller bearing. Ive ordered a couple aluminum cased roller bearings for mine.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Yes.. The Solid Bearings will put up a fight when new. They are very tight. After 25-30 miles, they will break in and then get very slick. Better than roller bearings. But you do have to break them in. and yes.. They are self lubricating. Enjoy the ride..

berdss

Jul 2, 2009
nj
can a Titan engine be used on a friction drive? You know like the Stanton or the BMP?

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Yes.. The Titan is being used on the BMP with fantastic Results. That is why I also bought a BMP. I hope to have it installed using a Titan this weekend. I want to run it and see how well this BMP works. I have hear good things about the Titan with BMP. I am not a huge fan of the Friction drive because it is a fair weather ride. Being that wet causes the Pinch roller to slip. Chain drives work well in all weather. Other than that, I have run friction drive units for almost 20 years now, and they are a lot of fun and easy to install. I bought the BMP with 1.5 inch pinch roller with sprag. It was a little more expensive. But.. I have seen others with it using BMP with Titan and they brag about it. so.. Here goes !!! Enjoy the ride..