head gasket trouble

GoldenMotor.com

joeblow

Sep 27, 2008
I took the top off my engine to check the spark plug's flushness, and since I put it back on it has been sputtering out a small amount of fuel when it runs. is there a specific way to put the head gasket on? it seems to be a square. It is slightly indented on one side, presumably from being installed, does this need to be up or down?dance1

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Head gaskets generally should be replaced when you open up a used engine. You could try some head gasket sealer and see if that helps.

Edit: You should also be sure you torqued the bolts evenly when you put it back! Otherwise you can warp the head!

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Where is the fuel sputtering from? If you re-install the head gasket the same way it came out, it will usually be fine.

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
im having the same problem, when i start it i can sometimes feel a bit of air blowing from a corner of the headgasket, but after 30 seconds or so it stops. the bike still runs reasonably well though. i think one of my headbolts is stripped.

it was a lot worse before, but i took off the cylinder head and used some rtv sealant, but theres is still a small leak, after every ride i get a few drops of the gas coming out through a corner of the headgasket.

does anyone know of a surefire fix?

roxrcool

May 27, 2009
ashland, oregon
I just put together a motor from a couple of busted up motors. put in a new base gasket
(dry, no sealant) and a new head gasket. both motors would roll just fine pushing it with
the clutch out. As soon as I mounted the motor, I knew it would fire right up. compression
was great. All I did was use some scotch-brite to clean up the base and the head, and
there is not a single drop of anything leaking. I think the sealer is what is causing the problems
that people are experiencing; or maybe just too much sealant. just my two cents.wee. so happy
to be back on my motor bike after a month or two with it being down. dance1

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
As long as it has "real" metal in it laff

I guess that's the beauty of the Al paint. It not only has real aluminum, the metallurgy is all matching - I bought a can at an industrial supply store.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This is an old automotive trick dating back to the flathead days but still works today. Open a can of silver paint, preferably aluminum, and let it sit open for a couple of days. As it begins to dry and harden it makes a great head gasket sealer. (naturally you'll have to break through the skin that forms on top) Just brush the semi-dried paint on the gasket then torque it down. Worked long before a lot of the gasket sealers came around.
Tom

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
your right about that tom i remember as a kid seeing old jalopy motors my dad worked on that had silver goop messed around the heads. **** you still see old restored cars at car shows that havnt been opened in 30 or 40 years with the tell tale silver paint gasket around the head ;) that makes my day.

where do you think i learned that you could soak cardboard in oil to make a heat curing gasket :p

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
your right about that tom i remember as a kid seeing old jalopy motors my dad worked on that had silver goop messed around the heads. **** you still see old restored cars at car shows that havnt been opened in 30 or 40 years with the tell tale silver paint gasket around the head ;) that makes my day.

where do you think i learned that you could soak cardboard in oil to make a heat curing gasket :p
Some of those 'old tricks' work as good today as they did years ago. Some of them might not be pretty but they get the job done. Ever try dipping the stinger of your MIG (wire feed welder) in bee's wax? It keeps the splatter from sticking to the nozzle.
Tom